Ocean Waves Community Service
Since the launching of the Ocean Waves web site in the Spring of 2010, our community outreach has expanded greatly. Members, becoming aware of the increasing needs within the community, have started new partnerships, new projects or expanded their efforts on existing projects. For additional information on the projects listed below or to become involved in the groups' effort, please contact the individual listed.
Needs are frequently announced at guild meetings. If you or your group has a project, that Ocean Waves Quilt Guild could assist you with, please contact Pat DeVoll or Dottie Winn coordinators of Community Service for the guild.
On February 4, 2013, the guild had a "Sew-In" working on projects for: Friends of the Fallen, Habitat for Humanity, Heart Pillows, Pillowcases for Hope, Quilts of Love, Quilts of Valor and Tiny Tots. Charles Paparella of TV station WBOC visited the Sew-in and produced a segment for his "Travels with Charlie" feature for the evening news of our event. Click below view this segment.
Friends of the Fallen
• Contact: Marcia Bonifas
• Makes teddy bears to be given to the children of fallen soldiers when they meet the family member at Dover Air Force Base for the transfer home.
• fabric; red, white & blue prints (small scale) or children's prints (small scale)
• poly stuffing or batting
• volunteers to sew bears (Teddy Bear pattern)
• Contact: Terry Cassanelli
• Makes quilts for Kody's kids, Kent General/Bay Health in Dover, The women's shelter People's Place, the Baby Pantry/Resource Center in Rehoboth, Little Sisters of the Poor in Newark and the Cancer Community Center for their raffles.
• fabric - children's fabric & flannel
Habitat for Humanity
• Contact: Lois Aylor
• Makes welcome baskets for those getting a home through Habitat for Humanity. Baskets include: place mats, pot holders, window valances, etc.
• Volunteers to sew at periodic "bees" held at Lois' home (announced at guild meetings)
• fabric - light weight upholstery ideal but any cotton fabric is welcome
• Make heart shaped pillows (pattern can be found on the resource page) for breast cancer treatment centers.
• Kits available at guild meetings
• fabric - cheerful prints, soft cotton and flannel
• ribbon (grosgrain preferred) 1/2" to 3/4" wide
Material Girls Bee
• Contact: Pat Kost
• Material Girls is an Ocean Wave group that devotes their monthly bee to charity projects. They pitch in when any of the other charitable efforts, the guild supports, can't keep up with demand and/or work on one time projects.
• If a group or organization has a need for sewn or quilted items, you can contact the Material Girls to see if they can help.
Milton Century Club
• Contact: Pat DeVoll
• Makes teddy bears to be given to the police, fire, hospitals and social service groups for distribution to children
• corduroy fabric * as of 4/15/2014 they are will stocked
• Contact: Pat DeVoll
• Knits, crochets and sews for pregnant girls and makes bibs for nursing homes.
• embroidery floss
Pillowcases for Hope
• Contact: Maryann Hirst
• Makes pillowcases for cancer patients in Sussex County (distributed through Community Cancer Support) and for children staying at Justin's Beach House in Bethany Beach.
• Kits are available at guild meetings or they can be delivered. Future plans include regular bees.
• cheery fun fabric
• volunteers to sew (pillowcase pattern)
Quilts of Love
• Contact: Pat DeVoll
• Generates an assortment of quilted or sewn projects to local charitable organizations and institutions caring for infants, families and the elderly
• The group holds bees at local churches four to five times a year; usually in Jan., May, Sept. and Nov.
• cotton fabric with baby or juvenile prints/colors
• fleece for children's blankets or quilts
Quilts of Valor
• Contact: Lenny Truitt through Serendipity Quilt Shop ~ 302-732-6304
• Provides quilts, in patriotic color combinations, for service men and women, primarily in Delaware and to the Port Mortuary workers at Dover Air Base.
• Serendipity Quilt Shop hosts four Quilts of Valor sewing day (Saturdays) throughout the year ~ next scheduled for November 8, 2014. Sewing machines are provided for the event. Check their website for details.
• The group accepts donations of quilt tops as well as blocks and pillowcases (which are used to present the quilt). Donations can be left with Lenny at Serendipity Quilt Shop and will be quilted by area longarmers. For more details about size, fabric guidelines and project specifications, visit QOVF.org
• patriotic fabric
• quilts in patriotic fabrics
• standard size pillowcases in patriotic fabrics
• blocks: 12 1/2" square in either a red/white or blue/white color combination - any pattern
• Contact: Mary Martinez ~ 302-541-4964
• Creates baby quilts and knitted, crocheted or sewn baby clothing for: Sister Rosa at LaRed in Georgetown which does outreach work with pregnant women in the Hispanic community.
• The group meets the 4th Tuesday of the month (except summer months) at St. Ann's Catholic Church in Bethany Beach, DE.
• baby fabric